Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Tommy Hoenshell - Is remixing a legitimate platform for creativity?

Our Society struggles with a huge debate that poses a huge question on whether or not remixing and recycling content is a legitimate platform that displays possible creativity or possible copyright infringement. Many artists who originally recorded songs are finding remixed versions of their songs and are claiming that they are violating the law by stealing their work. I believe that if you look up the word remix; you will have a clearer idea if it is violating the law by copyright infringement. A remix, by definition, is a song that has been edited or completely recreated to sound different from the original version.

Our generation of music is changing. A new type of music has emerged over the past decade in the form of edm, electronic dance music, with all sorts of sounds and clips of voices in other songs recreated to sound totally different. If it is a different tempo, pitch, sound, and song. With that being said, I stand on the side that supports remixing and recycling music. Personally, I love music and I listen to it everyday. And there have been multiple circumstances where I think the remixed version is flat out better. I wear the song out and I still like it, but hearing it with a different beat or synchronized with other tones sounds new and creative to me. Remixing is a platform for creativity and should not be penalized by the law in anyway shape or form. There is a youtube sensation genius and goes by the name “Pop Danthology” who has over 48 million hits on a big remix of the all the popular songs of 2013. He uses pieces of every song and combines them into a whole new song of its own. I don’t even like half of these songs but I honestly enjoy listening to the mashup. A mashup is another word for remix that is commonly used by Dj’s and music producers of our generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment