Thursday, February 27, 2014

The Manchild Advocate

Provide an example where humor was used in digital/networked media to make a serious political or cultural argument. Was it effective?


“Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to testify today, as well as the opportunity to be referred to as an expert at something. Because thats pretty cool.” -Seth Rogen
When I saw this blog prompt I couldn’t help but think of a video that I saw just today. As I was browsing my Facebook page, scrolling past countless videos and pictures and links that I have become numb to due to the ever-growing amount of weddings, proposals, babies, cats, and pictures of food, I noticed a picture on a video link that caught my eye. I saw one of my favorite actors, Seth Rogen, looking rather dapper and legitimate. This alone, being the rarity that it is, caused me to slow my scroll (yeah, that should be a common internet phrase if it already isn’t), but it wasn’t until I saw the word CSPAN beneath his picture that my curiosity was peaked enough to commit to view the link. Upon opening it up I was met with the initial thought of “SIX AND A HALF MINUTES! Ain’t nobody got time for that!”, but being a fan and having already taken the time to click once, I started watching.
The video is of Rogen appearing before congress to talk about the issue of Alzheimer disease. He is appearing in order to raise awareness and funding of the disease, and speak about the advocacy program he has already created, Hilarity for Charity. His testimonial is littered with fun quips and jokes about himself being a manchild, as well as the weight issue in America, and even gets a line in about video games. It is far and away the most light hearted and humorous bit of CSPAN that I have ever watched, and it made me wonder whether or not Rogen’s testimony would be taken less seriously due to the humorous nature. While it was silly at times, the testimony of his experience with his mother-in-law, and the ways the disease harms people is very heartfelt.
I think that Rogen was using his own method, the method that has given him fame, and ultimately the opportunity to appear before congress, to reach as many people as possible. And while some crotchety old kooks may close their mind and ears at the mention of marijuana or a movie called Knocked Up, many many more will see the video due to the curious nature that comes from Seth Rogen speaking in our nations capital and his funny demeanor. I believe that if we can view it as a responsibility of public figures to be role models, then we should applaud them when they do indeed use their fame to advocate, no matter how they do so.  If it is effective, why change it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment